Big Bite strawberry jam muffins with stirred-in strawberry jam and a ginger streusel topping are a favorite for lazy weekend. A perfect muffin for breakfast on the go! Muffins are moist with strawberry moonshine jam goodness. The spiced crown is dry and crumbly. These strawberry muffins will have the coffee shop begging for your recipe.
Like fancy coffee shop strawberry muffins, these muffins crown beautifully giving a visual “come hither” flirt. A fun mid-morning diversion, they really deliver! Joyce Pinson, Friends Drift Inn
Strawberry Jam Muffins Recipe At-A-Glance
Prep Time 15 Minutes – Bake Time 15-20 Minutes
Total 45 Minutes
Yield 12 big bite muffins with crowns
Difficulty – Easy
Ingredients All-Purpose Flour – Brown Sugar – Cane Sugar – Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam – Ground Ginger – Butter – Baking Powder – Salt – Buttermilk
Equipment Muffin Tin – paper liners – mixing bowls. A pastry cutter and whisk make the process go quicker but are not essential. Don’t forget measuring cups and spoons.
Strawberry Jam Muffins with Ginger – A Tummy Warming Tradition
Muffins are a weekend staple at Friends Drift Inn big red barn. We especially enjoy baking strawberry jam muffins in the mean months of Little Winter.
“Little Winter” is an Appalachian term which describes March through late May.
The ginger-peppery undertones from Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam marries so perfectly with a streusel topping!
You will be making this recipe every time your tummy needs warming.
Ginger brightens up savory dishes by adding just the right amount of heat, soothes our aching stomachs, and most importantly, satisfies that sweet tooth with an extra bite.
Strawberry Jam Muffins – So Simple!
Strawberry Jam Muffins are easy to make. The key is not to overmix. Just stir until moistened!
This is true for Blueberry Muffins with Buttermilk and Jam too. Do not overmix!
To measure whisked flour, first just whisk the flour in the bag. (No clean-up!) Measure flour and proceed.
Don’t be afraid of creating the topping! It is easy. Melded with crumbly ginger streusel, strawberry jam muffins offer a pleasing contrast of textures that is hard to forget.
Stir in Strawberry Moonshine Jam
For this muffin recipe, Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam is folded into dry ingredients yielding a surprisingly moist strawberry muffin with a soft mouth feel.
When it comes to strawberry jam, Friends Drift Inn’s is one of the best! We want you to taste the strawberries first!
Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam has no high fructose corn syrup, no added food colorings, and no added preservatives!
We are about strawberries with a splash of moonshine!
Just like vanilla, a distilled spirit like moonshine can add a subtle background flavor to your recipes.
With strawberry moonshine jam, you taste the strawberries first. But as you savor that moment and begin to swallow, there is a little endnote. Good moonshine is very smooth; however, there is a peppery ginger finish.
If you take it slow, just like swirling a fine wine over your palate, you will taste an ever so subtle “bite” of gingery moonshine.
It’s all about the strawberries – as it should be!
Is There Really Moonshine in Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Jam?
Sure enough! There is a legal moonshine distiller just over the mountain from us here in Pike County. There is another distiller near Pine Mountain; not far from where we make our jam. It is all vey proper and legal.
There is just a tiny splash of moonshine; certainly not enough to worry about intoxication!
As Appalachia reclaims our heritage, it is the hope of many a Moonshine Trail will be established for tourism like our Kentucky Bourbon Trail.
Why Use Buttermilk in Muffins?
Take it from the Brits, strawberries and cream are a beautiful thing! But strawberries with creamy dairy products are not limited to a day at Wimbledon.
A splash of buttermilk helps makes strawberry jam muffins brown more evenly which is a treat for the eye and the tummy any time of year.
To gain a little extra lift, we prefer buttermilk to regular milk for muffins, biscuits and scones.
According the National Dairy Council :
When it comes to baking, many use it (buttermilk) because it results in a light, moist treat. That’s because the lactic acid reacts with the recipe’s leavening agent, which not only results in a fizzy reaction, but also cancels out the sourness of the milk.
Not only does buttermilk give a subtle complexity to the strawberry jam and ginger flavors in this recipe… muffins benefit from the carbon dioxide produced from combining an alkaline like baking soda with an acidic ingredient such as buttermilk.
Buttermilk helps produce “big bite” muffins, those bakery style muffins that you almost must unhinge your jaws for just to dig in. But oh! It is so worth it!
What Flavors Go with Strawberries?
When strawberry season comes in, I do a little jig. Strawberries signal spring and the promise of a beautiful summer.
Here at the big red barn, we pair strawberry jam muffins with:
- Fresh Strawberries and Yogurt
- A drizzle of local honey
- Cream Cheese
- Wine Spritzers
- Mint Tea
- Hazelnut Coffee
- Grapefruit Bowls
- Arugula and Strawberry Salad
- Candied Ginger
What do you serve with strawberry muffins?
Choose Your AssortmentPrint
Crowned with ginger streusel, these big bite strawberry muffins are easy to make. Great flavor and texture combinations. The coffee shop is going to want this recipe!
Ginger Streusel Topping
- 3/4 cup of All-Purpose Flour, whisked and spooned into measuring cup
- 1/4 cup of light Brown Sugar (firmly packed)
- ¼ cup Pure Cane Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Amaretto liquor (substitute almond extract)
- 6 tablespoons organic Unsalted Butter (cut into cubes for ease of mixing)
Strawberry Jam Muffins
- 1 cup Pure Cane Sugar
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour, whisked and spooned into measuring cup
- 2 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) organic Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup Buttermilk, shaken
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto liquor (could substitute vanilla, hazelnut or almond extract)
- 1 ¼ cups of Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam (1 jar plus 4 teaspoons)
For Ginger Streusel Topping
Add flour, sugars, ginger and amaretto liquor to a medium mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter (or be like momma and use two butter knives) to cut in butter. Mixture will be crumbly. Set aside. (See recipe notes for topping ideas)
- Preheat oven to 425. Place paper liners in standard size muffin baking tin.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add buttermilk, amaretto liquor, and Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine jam.
- Gradually fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, working just enough to moisten.
- Fill lined tins almost full. Spoon ginger streusel topping on muffin batter – don’t be stingy.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, rotating pan once midway through. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean; with maybe a few crumbs from the streusel.
- Cool in muffin tin for about 5 minutes. If the crowns run together, you might use a butter knife to separate muffins before removing. Use two hands (you don’t want to lose that ginger topping!) to carefully move each muffin to a cooling rack.
- For informal weekend gatherings, heap muffins in a big basket. Serve with Friends Drift Inn jams, fresh strawberries and fruit, and yogurt.
- Hazelnut coffee or citrus flavored tea pair well with these muffins.
- Take a basket of muffins and a jar of jam to your friends and family. It is a much-appreciated gift.
- For special occasions, serve with mascarpone cheese and fresh berries.
Strawberry Jam Muffins keep several days on the countertop if wrapped loosely with foil or placed under a cake dome.
These can be frozen, but flavor and texture are best if served warm.
If you want to get fancy, sprinkle a few almond slivers or hazelnut pieces on top of the streusel before baking. Finely chopped (and LIGHTLY sprinkled) candied ginger would be awesome!
Momma says 1/3 cup of uncooked quick oats and one more tablespoon of butter adds a little more texture to the streusel. Momma knows things.
Gentle reminder, this recipe is formulated to use with Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam. We cannot predict how other jams will perform.
Keywords: Strawberry Jam Muffins, strawberry muffins recipe, strawberry muffins,