A riff on the traditional strawberry shortcake recipe, our Kentucky inspired strawberry shortcake is sugar glazed biscuit scones. Ginger, strawberry moonshine jam, lush fresh strawberries, and a big dollop (or two) of real whipped cream rounds out this indulgent strawberry dessert recipe.
Strawberry jam, biscuit scones, fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. That is strawberry shortcake Appalachian style! Joyce Pinson, Friends Drift Inn
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe At-A-Glance
Prep Time – 30 minutes plus 15 minutes to plate
Cook Time 25 – 30 minutes Total Time 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield – 9 desserts (18 scones)
Ingredients Pure Cane Sugar – Unsalted Butter – Baking Powder – Baking Soda – Salt – Ground Ginger – All-Purpose Flour – Eggs – Buttermilk – Powdered Sugar – Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam – Fresh Strawberries – Whipped Cream
Equipment – Mixing bowls – Measuring Spoons and Cups- Pastry Cutter (substitute 2 butter knives) – 2 1/4 inch Biscuit Cutter- Baking Trays-Tongs- Cooling Rack
How is this Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Different?
Biscuits. Biscuits. Biscuits with jam! Giggles
Strawberries love biscuit scones! This Appalachian inspired Strawberry Shortcake Recipe features biscuit scones, fresh strawberries, strawberry jam and whipped cream. A simple but elegant strawberry jam dessert, for Valentine’s Day and Kentucky Derby Parties.
You are going to love it!
The results are visually stunning, and the taste is unexpectedly fresh, light, and springy. Biscuit scones as shortcakes beats those grocery store offerings every time.
Minus the sugar glaze, biscuit scones can be baked ahead of time and frozen. So easy!
Note, some time back there was an internet bug-tussle over the difference between a biscuit and a scone.
I do not get too bogged down in these debates. Maybe these experts should grab a Kentucky Derby Ham Biscuit and contemplate more important topics.
In the broader scheme of life, we think biscuit scones are just dandy! Giggles
Of Hearts and Horses – Valentines Strawberry Desserts and Kentucky Derby Party Ideas
Strawberry desserts are favorite for Valentine’s Day. A strawberry shortcake biscuit scone presentation is unexpected; elegant but not too fussy. I like to keep folks guessing!
This is an easy Valentines dessert coupled with champagne and a chocolate covered strawberry garnish. You are going to enjoy sharing this recipe with the loves of your life!
During spring festivals leading up to Kentucky Derby this versatile strawberry dessert makes many appearances on the local party scene. In addition to fresh strawberries, I have seen sorghum cookies with white chocolate, and strawberry shortcake ice cream topped with strawberry jam as side accompaniments. Whether your horse comes in first or last, with this recipe you will be a winner!
Strawberry Basics 101 – What Pairs With Strawberry?
According to the Specialty Produce Guide an industry touchstone for defining produce:
Strawberries are a very versatile fruit appropriate for sweet and savory applications, both cooked and raw. They may be used interchangeably with most other berries, but often times have a higher moisture content and therefore may require alterations in some recipes.
Complimentary pairings include, other berries, citrus, rhubarb, melon, leafy herbs, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, almonds, sour cream, ricotta, mascarpone, yogurt, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, amaretto, Champagne, Kirsch and Grand Marnier.
Strawberry Moonshine Jam – The Secret Ingredient
Yes Trudy – we really do use real moonshine in our strawberry jam.
No, we do not add high fructose corn syrup, preservatives or food coloring. Call us crazy but we think you should taste strawberries first!
It is that little after-kick, that will perk up your palate. Our jam features a moonshine finish, clean with a little bit of a gingery, peppery bite. Our jam is special; with berries being the primary ingredient.
How to Buy and Store Fresh Strawberries for Short Cakes Garnish
Bite into a good strawberry picked right from the vine and you come to know what spring in Kentucky tastes like. If you have the chance to visit a U-Pick Strawberry Farm do it!
- Strawberries should be red. That is your visual cue.
- They should be plump and medium firm, not soft and swiveled.
- Take a whiff! They should smell fruity, with a floral note.
- Look at the packaging. Strawberries are fragile. They should be packaged in shallow cartons so as not to bruise fruit on the bottom layer.
- ALWAYS look at a strawberry carton from top to bottom and side to side. Strawberries are extremely perishable.
Strawberries are best when prepared and eaten in the same day, but if you must keep them longer, store them in your refrigerator.
Arrange the berries in a shallow container, separating out any damaged berries. Cover them loosely and keep at 35 degrees for best results.
Do not remove the caps or wash the berries until you are ready to use them. When caps are removed before use, the berries lose some of their moisture. Washing early tends to bruise them and the berries lose their freshness.
A Word About Buttermilk and Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit Scones
Appalachian staples, biscuits, scones, and muffins are often made with buttermilk to foster slower browning and a bigger lift. These biscuit scones were placed with lots of room on the baking sheet, making a flatter product which is easier to stack for serving.
You could crowd them into a smaller pan, but they become harder to work with for this recipe.
Strawberry Moonshine jam and buttermilk biscuit scones speak to the heritage of Kentucky’s mountains.
A not so humble presentation, this dessert is welcomed at high society Valentine’s Day balls. But trust me, the guests at your backyard Kentucky Derby patio party will love this spring dessert too!
About Whipped Cream – Heavy Cream
The National Dairy Association defines types of cream. They say this about whipping cream:
Also known as “heavy whipping cream,” this thick stuff contains no less than 36 percent milkfat and is perfect for making homemade whipped cream because it forms stiff peaks when whipped.
Everybody has their own way of serving whipped cream with strawberry shortcake. I like a smear on the fresh strawberry layer and another dollop on the side.
Charlie drags out the Kitchen Aide and puts heavy whipping cream, just a little powdered sugar, and a tiny splash of bourbon in the whipped cream. He cranks the mixer and we are off to the races! (Bourbon whipped cream is tradition for Kentucky Derby Party season.)
If you have gone to all the trouble to prepare this special strawberry dessert; do use real whipped cream! Sparingly or with wild abandon, whipped cream makes strawberry shortcake a dessert to remember.
Serving Strawberry Shortcake
Valentine’s Day and Kentucky Derby Party Classic
For Valentine’s Day dessert garnish strawberry shortcake biscuit scones with a fresh strawberry dipped in white chocolate, a scattering of white chocolate chips and almonds.
Did I mention strawberry desserts are a natural to pair with champagne? In addition to strawberry shortcake we love individual strawberry swirled cheesecakes with a glass of sparkly.
For Kentucky Derby, we like this “biscuit-scone” strawberry dessert served with a sprig of mint, a fresh strawberry crusted with bourbon smoked sugar and an extra helping of bourbon whipped cream.
A side scoop of ice cream and an extra smear of strawberry jam across the plate doesn’t hurt!
Afternoon Tea Party, Ladies Luncheon, and Picnic Favorite
Scones with strawberry and cream are a British cousin to our American strawberry shortcake recipe. For afternoon tea or a ladies luncheon pair with a white tea which will compliment the berries, but keeps the strawberry flavors front and center.
Summer picnics coming up? Slice berries ahead of time and place in a lidded container in cooler. If you are feeling naughty, add a splash of moonshine to strawberries to macerate. Assemble strawberry jam desserts on site. For picnic convenience, you may wish to use a chilled can of whipped cream topping to garnish. I won’t judge. Giggles
Choose Your AssortmentPrint
With a nod to springtime in Appalachia, this strawberry dessert recipe features biscuit scones, fresh strawberries and Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine jam. Scones can be made ahead of time, glazed and garnished the day of event. A good choice for Valentine’s dessert or a Kentucky Derby party.
- ¼ cup Pure Cane Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour – whisked + plus enough to scatter on work surface
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) organic Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 large Egg, organic preferred
- 1 ¼ cups Buttermilk + 3 tablespoons for brushing on tops (shake Buttermilk before pouring)
Glaze and Strawberry Dessert Toppings
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup of organic Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 jar of Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam (about 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam per dessert)
- 2 Quarts of Fresh Strawberries plus 9 strawberries for garnish
- Whipped Cream
- Optional garnishes include white chocolate chips, fresh mint, or almonds.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients for strawberry shortcake biscuit scones.
- Add butter. It is all the rage to grate butter, but I still just cut it into small pieces and work in with a pastry cutter or two knives. Butter should be in pea-sized chunks when you are done.
- Next, add egg and buttermilk. Work in with a fork, it will be a tad dry. It should come together into a loose ball when you use your hands. Do not overwork.
- On a floured surface, flip the dough ball out. If it is sticky (depends on your flour) turn the dough ball once on the floured surface to pick up more flour. Dough should appear dry.
- Pat dough into a circle, about 1 inch thick. Use a floured 2 ¼ “biscuit cutter to create circles. (Makes 18)
- Place strawberry shortcake scones on two baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops with remaining buttermilk.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, rotating trays halfway through the cycle. Biscuit scones should be lightly browned.
- Strawberry shortcake biscuit scones on rack with glaze dripping off.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack which has parchment paper beneath it.
- In a medium bowl, mix confectionary powdered sugar, milk and ginger. Stir until smooth.
- Once scones have cooled dunk them one at a time in confectionary sugar glaze. Place back on cooling rack and let drip.
- Go grab a cup of tea. By the time you finish, the sugar coat will be set. Dunk strawberry shortcake scones in the sugar glaze again! We aren’t playing around here.
- Let sugar coating set. Set time varies with humidity.
- For serving flip one scone flat side up. Slather with Friends Drift Inn strawberry moonshine jam; about 2 tablespoons per strawberry shortcake.
- Add 2 tablespoons sliced strawberries.
- Add whipped cream (either on side or directly on shortcake) and cap with a second scone. Garnish.
Garnish strawberry shortcake biscuit scones with fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate, or sliced strawberries macerated in moonshine.
Mint is a fragrant garnish, especially during Kentucky Derby season.
Whipped cream is a must.
Extra garnishes could include chocolate chips, almonds, mint, ice cream or a smear of Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam.
Strawberry shortcake desserts pair well with champagne, a light white tea, white wine, or strawberry lemonade.
Save yourself time! Whisk flour in the sack, then lightly spoon into a measuring cup.
Strawberry shortcake scone biscuits can be made a day ahead. Wait to glaze until day of event.
If you want taller scones, place strawberry shortcakes tighter on baking sheets forcing them to grow up and not out. Beware, with this method they sometimes kiss making edges a little raggedy for glazing and the bottoms tend to brown and toughen.
I have frozen biscuit scones for make ahead parties; just wait to glaze and add strawberry jam and strawberries until day you will be serving.
Gentle reminder, this recipe is formulated to compliment Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam. We cannot predict how substitutions will perform.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake recipe, strawberry dessert, Kentucky Derby Party, Valentines Day, strawberry jam, strawberry moonshine jam,