Friends Drift Inn Farm – Recipes
Paw Paw Palooza Waffle Party
Breakfast and Brunch Goodies
Monday, I got up at 5 AM. This is significant as I do not “do” mornings. I packed up my tote and headed up the hill to Peach Orchard, dismounting at the East Kentucky Broadcasting studios. In my bag of goodies, paw paw waffles to be served with paw paw ice cream recipe.
Giving radio talent ice cream for breakfast tends to bring smiles. I was fortunate enough to appear on WDHR Day Break, The Oldies Station, Coal Country, and Z Rock all before 8 am and no one had to die! Giggles It was a good way to start the week.
Paw paw puree can be frozen and used all year. It is especially suited for quick breads like muffins and the breakfast favorite of Belgian Waffles. This recipe makes a light textured waffle full of fall fragrances. Your kitchen will smell like exotic spices!I served the waffles in quarter slices, dollopped with paw paw ice cream, drizzled with warm maple syrup with a smattering of pecans.
These waffles do not freeze as well as my Honey Pumpkin Waffles, but they are so good I doubt you will have any problem devouring them all. Especially with ice cream! Giggles
Make this recipe for Sunday Brunch and surprise the breakfast crowd!
Paw Paw Waffles Recipe
Adopted from Deb at Smitten Kitchen
Waffle Recipe, Breakfast Recipe, Brunch Recipe, Paw Paw Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, organic preferred
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 eggs separated, organic preferred
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cup paw paw puree
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted, organic preferred
1. Preheat oven to 250°.
2. Wisk all dry ingredients together to lighten mix.
3. Make a well in the mix and add beaten egg yolks, buttermilk, paw paw puree, and melted butter stirring only enough to moisten all ingredients.
4. Walk away. Walk away I tell you. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes allowing the leavening agents to lighten the batter.
5. Preheat the Belgian waffle maker
6. Gently fold in egg whites; just barely incorporating. Use a light touch – remember we want airy light waffles!
7. Once waffle iron is heated to the proper setting, spray vegetable oil and add batter cooking to manufactures directions.
As you complete each waffle stash them in a 250° oven covered in aluminum foil to keep warm until serving.
Notes and Observations:
I like waffles served with warm maple syrup and sweet butter at breakfast or brunch. If you are feeling very adventuresome try paw paw waffles with sorghum! For an interesting dessert or as a small bite brunch recipe quarter the waffles and serve with ice cream.
Makes 4 Belgian style waffles
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED