A dinner party classic, Chocolate Bundt Cake with Strawberry Jam is impressive but oh so easy! Simple garnishes can make this elegant or casual. Packs up easy for potluck dinners too!
The minute Chocolate Bundt Cake with strawberry jam heats up in the oven your kitchen is going to smell like chocolate. Heavenly chocolate! If you like to bake in secret, this is not the recipe for you. Move along. Your kitchen is going to become a crowd magnet! Joyce Pinson, Friends Drift Inn
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Strawberry Jam Recipe At-A-Glance
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 55-60 minutes
Total Time 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield 12 – 16 servings
Ingredients Cake Flour – Cocoa Powder – Baking Powder – Baking Soda – Salt – Butter – Buttermilk – Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam – Bourbon or Vanilla for Flavoring – Optional Confectionary Sugar for Dusting
Equipment Mixing Bowls – Measuring Cups and Spoons – Mixer – 12 cup Bundt Pan
Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe Tips
The reward for making chocolate bundt cake is the smiles of your guests – and the happy reviews. But the best thing is making a homemade bundt cake is so easy!
- Check the dates on your baking powder to make sure it is fresh.
- Shake buttermilk before measuring. I like to use room temperature buttermilk.
- To “flour” the pan, use cocoa instead of flour.
- Anytime you are using an intricately patterned pan, it is critical to make the batter settle in. Drop filled pan a couple of times on counter.
- Once batter has been “settled” let it sit a couple of minutes to allow leavening to continue working.
- Rotate cake at least once during the baking cycle to insure even cooking.
Chocolate Bundt Cake Taste Sensation
Bake this cake now! Your Sunday Suppers crowd will be dazzled!
With Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam essence hinting of ginger and the ever so seductive chocolate taste of the buttermilk cake, a light consistency allows this simple but elegant dinner party dessert to slide softly over your lips!
People will not believe it is a homemade cake!
A strawberry jam dessert that leans to the dark side, the chocolate crumb of this bundt cake is so soft it clings to the fork as gently as momma holds her babies.
But at the same time, is so flavorful the it can create scuffles at the dessert table as friends vie for the biggest slice.
There is a mischievous attitude that comes with this homemade chocolate bundt cake. It is like Mona Lisa smiling; you know beneath that demure countenance she is just dying to snort and giggle.
A Word of Warning
Do not think you can sneak a bite of chocolate bundt cake without being found out! The fine crumbs, so moist and luxuriant, leave a trail of evidence.
You will have crumbs in the corner of your mouth, on the perfectly pristine white table cloth, and probably on the floor too.
You cannot hide strawberry jam and chocolate decadence.
Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam
Chocolate dipped strawberries are one of my favorite passed desserts. How about you?
It makes me sad, when the strawberry season is over. But then again, we always have Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam to fall back on.
Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam contains no high fructose corn syrup, no added preservatives, and no food coloring. We believe you should taste the fruit first!
Our jam is a celebration of spring in Appalachia. Strawberries and moonshine, it is a Kentucky natural!
We continue to source strawberries from several locations, many of them local.
Oftentimes we are asked “What is the difference between jam and jelly?” Our strawberry jam contains chunks of fruit. It is thick and rich. Jelly is a more elegant spread, clear with a jewel like gel.
Moonshine originates from a legal distillery just over the mountain from the Friends Drift Inn farm. It is our goal to build a vibrant local food economy.
How Did Bundt Cake Get the Name?
Bundt’s (or, at least, the confections that inspired them) may be generations-old Eastern European cakes, but the signature aluminum pan they’re baked in is a modern innovation. Bundt pans were invented by H. David Dalquist in 1950, and today we use them to make those classic cakes …….
Originally, he called his invention a bund pan, for the German word that translates to “bond” or “alliance.”
Loving Bundt Cakes – Northern or Southern Tradition
Alliance is a good word to use when talking about the relationship between fruity strawberries and chocolate bundt cakes.
The thing about bundt cakes is they are so easy to make! Bonus points is they taste as wonderful as they look.
Since bundt pans were invented by Dalquist for Nordic Ware, a Minnesota based company, it is hard to explain why the bundt cake has become a southern favorite.
Bundt cakes are an old-fashioned Southern cake, but we think they’ve never gone out of style. We think of them as a baker’s secret weapon: the pretty molded cakes look incredibly impressive, but they are deceptively simple to make, even for the most novice baker.
I do not want to incite another war. I am a peace-loving hillbilly who grew up in Kentucky, the Gateway to the South and the North depending on your point of view.
All I have to say about this North vs South controversy is this chocolate bundt cake with strawberry jam is one of my favorites! Giggles
Serving Suggestions and Temptations
Strawberries with dark chocolate is just one of those complex flavor pairings that beg to be courted. The added zing of buttermilk leaves the door open for invitations to countless garnishes and flavors.
Make this cake your own signature dessert for family gatherings, dinner parties, and bridge night. You customize it to fit the occasion; plain or gussied up. As my friend Jessica says, “Fancy in increments.”
Ice cream, cream cheese whipped with strawberry jam, a quick splash of orange liqueur, or a dollop of yogurt and fresh strawberries and oranges are just a few of the possibilities. What is your pleasure?
Leftovers? I doubt it. But if it happens, think about chocolate bundt cake in a custardy strawberry trifle, or as a bite sized garnish with individual cups of panna cotta drizzled with strawberry jam.
On days when I really NEED a chocolate fix, pairing with chocolate cherry coffee hits the spot!
It is hard to be alone when this cake is drawing so much attention, but sometimes it can happen. Savor the moment, just you, the strawberry jam, and a chocolate bundt cake. It will be our secret……maybe.
Shhhhhh! Someone’s coming! Giggles
Choose Your AssortmentPrint
A go-to dessert recipe for elegant or casual dinner parties. Easy chocolate bundt cake recipe, is a crowd pleaser. Packs well for potluck dinners too!
- 2 cups Cake Flour-whisked and spooned in measuring cup (you could sub all-purpose flour, but the crumb will suffer)
- ¾ cup of Cocoa Powder (plus 2 tablespoons for dusting pan)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) organic Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature plus 1 tablespoon to grease pan
- 1 cup of Buttermilk, shaken
- 3/4 cup of Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam
- 2 large Eggs, organic preferred
- 1 teaspoon Kentucky Bourbon (could substitute vanilla extract or orange extract)
- Optional – Powdered sugar, icing, warmed strawberry jam for topping
- Preheat over to 350.
- Grease a 12 cup Bundt pan with 1 tablespoon of softened butter.
- Use about 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to “dust” the pan, coating thoroughly. Shake to remove excess.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk thoroughly. Set aside.
- Place remaining butter and sugar in steel mixing bowl and use mixer to beat together at medium speed. Gradually add buttermilk, strawberry jam, eggs and bourbon to avoid splatters.
- Slowly mix in remaining dry ingredients until batter is well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan, turning the pan as you pour. Once filled, lift pan about 3 inches off table and drop on the table to help level the batter.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, rotating pan half way through. Cake will pull away from sides. Insert a wooden pick to insure doneness; it should come out clean.
- Let the cake rest in pan about 10 minutes. Invert pan onto plate and let cool.
- Garnish with warmed jam, powdered sugar or a confectionary icing. The choice is yours.
If you are going to all the trouble to make a showstopping strawberry jam chocolate pound cake, do use cocoa instead of flour to dust your pan. It makes all the difference in presentation.
Sometimes I take about ¼ cup of warmed Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Jam and brush over chocolate pound cake just after I flip it from the pan. Sometimes I don’t. Giggles
If I freeze this cake, it is with the intent to use it in a trifle. The crumb is so tender, I think it loses mouth feel as a stand-alone dessert after being frozen.
This recipe was formulated using Friends Drift Inn Strawberry Moonshine Jam. We cannot predict how other jams will perform.