Friends Drift Inn Farm – Recipes
Dec. 2, 2109 Revision notes – Pawpaw fruits are a passion of Friends Drift Inn Foods and have been for both of us since we were kids. Watch for our limited run seasonal pawpaw jam products coming in the fall – if there is a good harvest. If you don’t know what a pawpaw is, you should start with with our Knowledge Center article.
We are celebrating the Paw Paw fruit harvest here in Appalachia. What is a paw paw? I am so glad you asked. Is paw paws a big trend? Yes indeed, why do you think Kentucky hosts the International Paw Paw Conference? Got Pawpaws? I’ll be sharing a Paw paw waffle recipe that sets this ice cream on the pawpaw pedestal!
Paw Paw Palooza – Light Creamy Ice Cream
Bourbon Heritage Month
I have a confession. We have been in the big red barn for nearly three years and we still do not have all the boxes unpacked. I have been looking for my ice cream freezer for a couple of weeks. Finally, I just gave up and called my friend Rhoda.
Rhoda is in our dance group. Rhoda is in the Pointy Toed Shoes Sisters. Rhoda is a food enthusiast who makes road trips fun. She was one of “Three Days in Charleston SC” compadres.
Rhoda had an ice cream maker. She also had some extra paw paws. Did I mention Rhoda is one of my best friends? Giggles
Paw Paw Ice Cream is surprising light and creamy. The paw paws give an interesting texture, with little chunks of banana citrus surprise. Paw Paws have a short season and a short shelf life, but if you go forage some they can be peeled, deseeded, run through the food processor and frozen for later.
Paw paw ice Cream is even more amazing when garnished with a few pecans. If you want to be very bold black walnuts. I like it with a little maple syrup over the top.
Paw Paw Ice Cream Recipe
Ice Cream Recipe, Dessert Recipe, Paw Paw Recipe
- 1 quart (4 cups) whole milk, organic preferred
- 1 quart (4 cups) heavy cream
- 6 eggs, organic preferred
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 ½ cups pure cand sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of paw paw puree
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla or better yet 4 tablespoons Kentucky Bourbon
1. In a double boiler add 3 cups of milk and 3 cups of heavy cream. Scald. The liquid will bubble up frothy, and almost form a “skin”.
2. Beat eggs, sugar,salt, and vanilla or bourbon and remaining cups of milk and cream together.
3. The tricky part – here’s how I do it – not necessarily the chef’s way. Take a tablespoon of the hot milks and quickly whisk into the egg mixture to help warm the eggs…not scrambling them. Repeat this several times. Then add the eggs a little at a time to the hot milks whisking to prevent eggs from scrambling.
4. Over medium heat on the double boiler cook the combination until it will coat the back of a metal spoon….it should be thinner than a finished pudding; but still have a thickness.
5. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. I usually add a layer of plastic wrap right on top of mix to prevent a “skin” from forming, covering tightly and refrigerating overnight.
6. Once chilled, add the paw paw puree.
7. Put mix in the ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions. (Rhoda’s model suggests filling half full with ice, then adding alternate layers of ice and ice cream salt around the canister.)
8. Let the dashers do their work. Each model is different, but in my experience you can hear the ice cream maker work harder as the confection thickens.
9. Once desired consistency is reached, remove dashers and place ice cream in a plastic lidded container. Give ice cream a little stir as the paw paws tend to settle to bottom.
10. Deb at Smith Bites suggests adding a little vodka or bourbon to the top of the mixture which helps prevent ice crystals. Who wants grainy ice cream?
11. Cover the mixture with a layer of plastic wrap, right on the top of paw paw ice cream. Then add the lid.
Chill in freezer at least 2 hours. I usually leave it overnight. To serve, let set for a few minute so you are not dealing with a “brick.” If you used vanilla it will take a little longer. If you used bourbon in the actual mix, it will be more smooth and welcoming. Giggles
Notes and Observations:
Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and pecans or black walnuts. Sometimes I serve with a quarter slice of Paw Paw Waffle on the side.
Makes 1 gallon
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED