Friends Drift Inn Farm – Recipes
Homegrown Pumpkins the Secret Ingredient
To me, pumpkin pie was nothing spectacular. But let me tell you, using fresh pumpkin is a life changer! This is THE BEST pie recipe ever! I cannot get enough of the stuff. Perhaps it’s the use of four eggs, or maybe it’s the pumpkin or a combination of both but this is a creamy light pie, unlike the dense holiday ho-hums.
Musquee de Provence pumpkin is an heirloom winter squash with origins in France. The flesh is unlike any other pumpkin I have ever cooked. It’s fine and dense with only a hint of stringiness.
The flesh is so sweet the French sometimes eat thin slices raw. It’s that good!
Hope you have some freshly roasted pumpkin in your kitchen.It will tickle your taste buds….even if it’s not Thanksgiving!
Here’s a how I make homemade pumpkin puree.
(If no fresh pumpkin is available, I beg of you to grow your own ….or tell your local grower you MUST HAVE Musquee de Provence Pumpkins! Commercially canned pumpkin just isn’t the same)
Revolutionary Pumpkin Pie
Pie Recipe, Thanksgiving Recipe, Dessert Recipe, Holiday Entertaining
- 1 9” pie crust baked
- 3 cups of freshly roasted homemade pumpkin puree (We like Musquee de Provence pumpkins)
- 1 cup pure cane sugar, organic preferred
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 large eggs, organic preferred
- 18 oz (1 ½ cans) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon Kentucky bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve. )
1. Bake off 1 unfilled 9 inch pie crust.
2. For pie filling, preheat oven to 425°.
3. In large bowl, combine all ingredients. With mixer, blend until all ingredients are well distributed.
4. Pour the mix into baked crust, filling to about ¼ inch from the surface. The mix will be very loose, don’t worry it will firm up
5. Wrap the pie crust edges with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
6. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°, then reduce heat to 350° and continue to bake for 50 – 60 minutes rotating the pie once.
7. Bake until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. The pie will not be jiggly, and the top will not look wet or shiny.
Refrigerate this pie after cooling.
About 1 hour and 15 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED