Friends Drift Inn Farm – Recipes Grilling and Tailgate
Barbeque Sauce, Paw Paw Palooza and Tailgating Parties
Revision notes Dec. 2, 2019 If you don’t know what a pawpaw fruit is you have missed out on a fall foraging treat. If you don’t have fresh pawpaws watch for our special limited run of Pawpaw Jam to make this recipe.
One of the best things about tailgate parties is using fresh ingredients to make your dishes truly memorable ones. Paw Paws, aka pawpaw fruits, are still available, but the season if fading. Grab some up and get ready for a remarkable Barbeque Sauce!
When the experts speak of Paw Paws, they describe the taste as banana with mango and pineapple. I’ve been making Paw Paw recipes for two weeks now, and never did get that “pineapple” thing – until Charlie made this killer Barbeque Sauce. I do not know if it was the addition of the tomato acidity, or just the cooking process but the citrus flavors really shine through in this recipe.
We usually do chicken wings , but I found these “drummies” at an incredible price and pawpaws are in season! Grill your chicken low and slow to preserve moisture then slather on this flavorful sauce. This really gives a beautiful glaze to chicken and works well on gourmet hamburgers as well. Your mouth with thank you!
Paw Paw Barbeque Sauce Recipe
By Charlie Pinson’s Brain
Barbeque Sauce, Condiment, Grilling
- 2 cups catsup
- ½ cups sorghum
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 fresh paw paws peeled, deseeded, and chopped into medium pieces
- 1 cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1 sweet onion minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed cayenne pepper flakes
1. In a heavy saucepan combine all ingredients.
2. Mix with an immersion blender (boat motor) until smooth.
3. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook down for about 30 minutes until the consistency is not quite flowing, but not so thick you cannot smear it on chicken. Giggles
This makes almost 1 Quart of Sauce. You could make the day ahead and store in refrigerator. It will keep up to a week if refrigerated properly.
Notes and Observations:
This is good with a little splash of bourbon added. Paw paws are sometimes found at local farmers markets. They are not shelf stable and should be used soon after foraging or buying.
About 1 quart of sauce
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED