Rustic and simple, old fashioned apple bread can be dressed up or dressed down. It’s your call. Easy to make! Freezes well. Make a day ahead for best flavors.
- ½ cup (1 stick) organic Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup of Pure Cane Sugar
- 2 large Eggs, (organic preferred) at room temperature, whisked
- ¾ cup of Buttermilk, shaken
- 1 ¼ cup Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter
- 2 cups of All-Purpose Flour, whisked and spooned into cups for measure
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- Crank the oven to 350. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with aluminum foil, leaving extra on the sides for “handles.”
- Grease the loaf pan. Butter or baking spray will work, but a sparingly small smear of bacon fat adds a layer of flavor.
- In medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add apple butter and buttermilk. You can do this by hand or use a mixer, just make sure the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add eggs, give it a good stir. Mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- In large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Make a well.
- Add wet ingredients, stirring in just enough to moisten. The batter should be just a smidge thicker than pancake batter.
- Pour batter in prepared loaf pan. Pick up pan a couple of inches off the table and drop gently to level batter.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, rotating once through the cycle. Bake until apple bread is browned. A toothpick inserted will come out clean. The bread will slightly pull away from sides.
- Remove from oven. I use the aluminum “handles” to remove bread from pan and let cool on a cutting board or cooling rack.
Apple bread is the perfect breakfast or snack to pair with coffee, pumpkin spiced tea, or mulled apple cider with a nip of bourbon.
Consider griddling slices of apple bread. For savory dinners on the go, top with an egg, apple butter, and ham. For a griddled dinner desert, smear with apple butter, sprinkle on black walnuts, and add a dollop of bourbon infused whipped cream.
For an unusual treat, cube leftover slices and make a trifle layered with whipped cream, nuts and apple butter.
For best results, bake a day ahead. This will increase flavors and moisture.
For uber-moist apple bread, grate half an apple and add to batter.
Apple bread freezes well.
This recipe was developed with Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter. We cannot venture a guess as to how other products will work.
True confession, I never cool this apple bread on a rack. Lift it out of the pan using the foil handles, and place on a cutting board.
Do let this bread cool before slicing.
Keywords: Apple Bread Recipe, Apple Butter Bread, Apple Butter Uses, Apple Butter, Apple Bread