Rustic but fabulous, Spiced Apple Butter Streusel Pancakes, make winter mornings a pleasure. Warm up with buttermilk pancakes sprinkled with oatmeal streusel and drizzled with spiced apple butter.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar, packed
- ¼ cup of All-Purpose Flour, whisked and spooned into measuring cups
- ¼ cup of Quick Oats (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons organic Unsalted Butter, softened but cool
- ½ teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- 2 cups of All-Purpose Flour, whisked and spooned into measuring cup
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cup Buttermilk (shaken)
- 2 large Eggs, organic preferred
- ¾ cup of Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter
- Optional Additional Apple Butter for Topping
- For streusel, use a small bowl. Add all ingredients and work through with a pastry cutter until topping is coarse and crumbly. Set aside.
- For pancakes, in a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add buttermilk, eggs, and apple butter to the well.
- Stir to moisten.
- Walk away and let leavening agents do their bossing.
- Heat up skillet over medium high burner. Add a pat of butter or oil to skillet.
- Skillet is hot enough when a few beads of water will dance and sizzle on the surface.
- Measure 1/3 cup of batter to pour in.
- Top with 1 heaping tablespoon of streusel topping.
- Let pancake edges start to dry and lift. Bubbles on the pancake surface will begin popping.
- Flip pancake.
- Cook on streusel side about 1 minute. Slide a pancake flipper under pancake a couple of times to keep from sticking.
- Plate or place on lined baking pan, cover with foil, and hold in the oven around 200 degrees. Use a condiment bottle to make apple butter spirals on the top.
For extra special occasions, top with bourbon whipped cream and a sprinkling of pecans. Spiced Apple Butter pancakes pair well with bacon, eggs, and a robust coffee. Also good with mulled apple cider. Pancakes for dinner? Serve with ham and eggs.
Add more butter or oil to skillet as needed. These tend to stick if you don’t.
We do not recommend freezing these pancakes.
Do not use a microwave to melt butter for streusel. Just don’t.
This recipe was created using Friends Drift Inn Spiced Apple Butter. We cannot speak to how other apple butters will work with this recipe and flavor profile.
Keywords: Apple Butter Pancakes, Pancake recipe with buttermilk, Spiced Apple Butter,