We call this “fancy” because apple butter bread loaded with raisin, pecans, and a splash or two of bourbon is chock-full of flavors. Perfect for holiday baking, hostess gifts, and Christmas teas. Bake ahead and make plenty!
- 1 cup of Golden Raisins
- 1/3 cup of Kentucky Bourbon plus 1/3 cup of Water
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of Pure Cane Sugar
- 2 large Eggs, beaten (organic preferred)
- 2 tablespoons of Sorghum (could substitute maple syrup or dark corn syrup)
- 2 cups of Bread Flour, whisked
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 cup of Friends Drift Inn Apple Butter
- 1 cup of Pecans, coarsely chopped
- Cooking spray or bacon drippings
- Soak raisins overnight in bourbon and water if you have time. Otherwise, put bourbon, water and raisins in small dish, microwave on high for 45 seconds and cover until time to add to batter.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line loaf pan with foil for ease-but usually I just grease the pan and spoon batter in. Grease pan generously with bacon drippings. (Spray with vegetable oil as an alternative) Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Using a mixer makes this easier but is not critical.
- Add eggs and sorghum. Mix well.
- In separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Measure apple butter and add to butter and sugar mixture, alternating with the dry ingredients. Do not over mix!
- Stir in pecans and raisins with a spoon.
- Walk away for a few minutes (grab a cup of tea) and let the leavening have a few minutes to raise.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan. I usually drop the pan on the tabletop just to make sure the batter spreads into the corners and levels up. This is a dense batter.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes rotating once. Bread will pull away from sides. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Cool loaf in pan about 10 minutes, then remove. I find using foil makes it easy to move bread from the pan.
Great for breakfast, brunch or as a coffee break treat. Serve with mulled apple cider, nuts and cheddar cheese or soft spread cheese. Griddle half slices and spread with apple butter. Perfect with apple cider cocktails for an afternoon tailgate or hayride.
- Soak raisins overnight with bourbon and water. Quick fix combine raisins, bourbon and water then microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Use bread flour – which is atypical for quick breads. For this recipe, it just works better.
- Make several loafs and give as hostess gifts. To make extra fancy, place a few pecan halves on the top before baking. Don’t forget a jar of Friends Drift Inn Apple Butter.
Keywords: apple butter bread, apple bread, quick bread, apple butter bread recipe