Apple Butter Ham Biscuits are an elegant way to use up holiday ham. Serve for breakfast, brunch, or at cocktail parties – especially Kentucky Derby Parties. Perfect for biscuit bars!
- 2 cups of Self-Rising Flour + a handful to flour the surface (Whisk flour in the bag and spoon into cup for measuring)
- 1/3 cup of Butter, unsalted + butter to spread
- ¾ cup of Buttermilk (shaken)
- 3 tablespoons Bacon Drippings
- About 2 ¼ pounds of Country Ham (3 ounces per biscuit) – you can substitute city ham
- ¾ cup of Friends Drift Inn Apple Butter (1 tablespoon per biscuit)
- Greens for topping
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Put skillet in oven to warm.
- In a large bowl, add flour and cut in butter. (Use two knives or a pastry cutter)
- Add buttermilk, blending just until moistened. Walk away for five minutes to let dough rest.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn dough out. Pat dough to make a ½ inch slab. Do not overwork.
- Cut biscuits. A biscuit cutter is best, but a water glass will work. Put cutter in flour, and stamp. Do not twist cutter.
- Remove skillet from oven. Measure bacon drippings into hot skillet.
- Place biscuits one at a time in skillet. Flip each biscuit so they get bacon goodness on both sides. We do not mind if biscuits touch a little.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and flip onto a large platter.
- Let cool.
- Split biscuits with a knife. OPTIONAL Use dairy butter on the top and bottom cut surface to work as a barrier, keeping biscuits from becoming soggy.
- Add about 3 ounces of ham per biscuit.
- Spread with Friends Drift Inn apple butter.
- Add greens if desired.
Apple Butter Ham Biscuits are a good choice for breakfast, brunch, teas, and cocktail parties. They are the perfect appetizer for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We love them in the cool days of fall, served with a bourbon cocktail.
For biscuit bars, we just pile the biscuits on a platter and let folks assemble them as they wish.
Do not overstuff biscuit sandwiches, they tend to crumble.
Our recipes are formulated to compliment our products. If you are not using Friends Drift Inn Apple Butter, we cannot speak to how this recipe will taste.
Keywords: ham biscuit, Kentucky Derby, how to make ham biscuit sandwich, how many ham biscuits per person, easter, ham leftovers,