Friends Drift Inn Recipes
French Gourmet Summer Squash
One of the advantages of growing your own garden, or shopping Farmers Market First, is the variety of produce. There are just some heirloom vegetables that cannot tolerate the rough process of shipping.
Heirloom Summer Squash
Ronde de Nice is one of those heirloom summer squash you are not going to find at the box stores. They are delicate. They bruise easy. But they will grow and produce in your garden at an amazing rate! A bush type squash, these would be fine for container gardening or in small raised beds.
Ronde de Nice produces a round squash. Some harvest them small, at 2-3 inches in diameter. This is our first year growing the French delight, and we have been harvesting them at about 4-6 inches in diameter.
Ronde de Nice has a delicate flavor, with a very tender flesh. There is a very subtle sweetness that makes these little babies coveted by chefs in the know. I am no chef; just a chick in a big red hat who is tired of frankenfood.
Try some Ronde de Nice Summer Squash with your favorite recipe for stuffing. Charlie baked these cuties this weekend, the first of our Ronde de Nice pickings.
Stuffed Summer Squash Recipe
Ronde de Nice
Squash Recipe, Main Course Recipe, Zucchini Recipe
- 4 Small Ronde De Nice Summer Squash
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup finely crushed bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup grated parmasian cheese
- Dash of White Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 °
2. Wash squash, remove “cap”, and hollow out center
3. In medium bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, butter, oregano, celery seed, cheese and pepper. Work with hands until well mixed.
4. Place 4-6 squash on a lined baking tray. Spoon stuffing into squash hollows.
5. Bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes until squash is fork tender.
Serve immediately. Makes a cute presentation!
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED