It’s Super Bowl Party Time
Let’s Get Popping!
Popcorn, is one of our favorite snacks. A quick fix for the Superbowl crowd, for watching movies or family game night Popcorn will never go out of style.
I have been amazed how many folks have never popped popcorn on the stove. It’s easy, the kids love to help, and the taste is much fresher – probably due to moisture content.
We dry popcorn still on the cob, and shuck it as time allows.There’s drying popcorn hanging in the rafters right now. Of course, a good quality organic popcorn will work fine!
Seasoned popcorn can be a day ahead of your tailgate or Super Bowl party. Stored in an airtight container, it will travel well….and I think especially if you choose hot and spicey seasonings the flavor mellows if made ahead.
Stove Top Popcorn Recipe
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- ½ cup popcorn
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- salt or spices to taste, suggestions below
1. In a 4 quart heavy pan that has a lid, heat oil. Place 2 or 3 kernels in pan and wait for these to pop.
2. Once pan is at desired heat, add remaining popcorn, and cover. Set off burner for 30 seconds.
3. Return to heat and gently move and back and forth keeping kernels in constant motion to avoid scorching.
4. When popping stops, remove from heat and let set a few seconds to assure there are no late poppers exploding in your face.
5. Dump into a big bowl.
6. Add butter to saucepan to melt, add seasonings and pour over popcorn.
Makes about 3 quarts
- Add 1 teaspoon of Tabasco Sauce or homemade hot sauce to butter for a zingy popcorn.
- For a garlicky rendition, saute 2 cloves of minced garlic in butter.
- Grate 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese and add with butter.
- 1 ½ teaspoon of dried mustard, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, and a sprinkling of black pepper makes a hot mustard popcorn.
- For a lemon dill popcorn, add 2 tablespoons of lemon zest and 1 teaspoon dill weed to the butter.
- McCormicks suggests adding Herbes de Provence to the melted butter as a 2011 Taste Trend.
About 3 quarts which will feed 4-6 as a snack
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission for purchases made through affiliate links