Friends Drift Inn Recipes
Make Ahead Superbowl Food and Cocktail Party Favorite
Super Bowl time and it’s time to think about a Super Bowl Party menu. One of our appetizer favorites is Spicy Cheese Straws.
Everyone’s Momma has their own version of seasonings for these cocktail party favorites. The Kappa Delta house mother insisted cheese straws MUST include mustard. She was a smart lady.
Spicy Cheese Straws can be served warm, or made a couple days ahead and stored at room temperature in an airtight container. I cut these wide so they are not fragile. Easy to eat with a bowl of chili….easy to pack up and travel for your next tailgate party or if you are going to friends for Super Bowl Sunday.
Want a more elegant presentation? Try Cheesy Buttery Pecan Wafers Recipe
Spicy Cheese Straws Recipe
Appetizer Recipe, Tailgating Recipe, Super Bowl Food
- 2 ½ cup freshly grated Cheddar Cheese (We like Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese)
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour, unbleached organic preferred
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) softened unsalted Butter, organic preferred
- 1 teaspoon fine sea Salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional gives an extra kick, and is visually pleasing)
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground mustard (Grey Poupon)
- 4 Tablespoons Buttermilk or Heavy Cream
- Extra flour to flour rolling pin and surface
1. Preheat oven to 425°
2. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Coarsely grate cheese. Please don’t use pre-shredded cheese; the anti-caking agents make it difficult to achieve cohesive dough.
4. You can use a food processor and combine cheese and butter; I just mix it by hand.
5. Gradually add flour, salt, cayenne pepper, pepper flakes and mustard.
6. Add up to 4 Tablespoons of Buttermilk or Heavy Cream. You should have a flaky, but easily pliable dough ball.
7. On floured surface, start with about one third of the dough and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
8. Cut into strips with a pizza cutter, about 1 inch wide and about 6 inches long. Repeat process until all dough is used.
9. Place on cookie sheets. Chill for 10 minutes before baking.
10. Bake for about 10- 15 minutes until crisp. Edges should just begin to brown.
These Cheese Straws are rustic and casual. The flavor improves over time. Makes about 24 straws.
Can be stored for several days at room temperature in an airtight container.
© Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
We are not compensated by the links above at this writing