Friends Drift Inn Recipe
I Drank this post and Giggled all afternoon!
Recipe for a Fall Cocktail
There’s 24…count them TWENTY FOUR Musquee de Provence pumpkins on the barn front porch. If you have never eaten these heirloom wonders, you have missed a treat! I was pondering what I was going to do with all that pumpkin….each deeply lobed orb of goodness yields about 12 quarts of puree.
This dandy of a bourbon cocktail uses a mere 1 ounce of pumpkin puree. Now I am not talking that canned puree you feel obligated to buy come Thanksgiving….nope.
I am talking about fresh pumpkin puree…specifically Musquee do Provence pumpkin puree. If you did not grow them this year….try them next spring. Not a farmer? Check your local Farmers Market. They are very popular.
The Smashing Pumpkin Cocktail recipe I found did not quit work for me. For one thing, the bourbon selection recommended. If you follow this blog, you know I love bourbon….all kinds of bourbon and from a variety of companies. Do not torture yourself with taste pairings and research. Citrus equals Woodford. I found this out the hard way agonizing over a Brown Derby Cocktail Recipe.
Somehow after seeing Chef Jeremy Ashby’s presentation of a Bluegrass Sunrise with a drizzle of grenadine around the top of the martini glass…..a plain orange twist garnish did not seem to live up to the playfulness of the moniker “Smashing Pumpkin Cocktail”. I strung some sorghum across the rim…it was the right thing to do! Giggles
If a girl’s going to swill, she wants to have fun. I drank this cocktail while I was working on a slew of pumpkin recipes that will be pouring forth from this blog in the coming weeks. I liked it. I liked it so much I giggled….and wondered just how many cocktails it would take to use up 24 Musquee de Provence pumpkins. LOL
I hope you enjoy!
Post Script…I like this cocktail just as presented, but it has been suggested a rimming of Pumpkin Crackers Recipe for Sweet Dessert Crusts adds even more impact to the presentation perfect for your fall holiday entertaining.
Smashing Pumpkin Cocktail Recipe with Bourbon
Inspired by Nochelatina
Cocktail, Bourbon Cocktail, Fall Cocktail, Pumpkin Recipe
- 1 1/2 ounces of Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- 3 orange segments
- 1 ½ ounces Bourbon (Woodford Reserve is my citrus go to)
- 1 ounce of FRESH Pumpkin Puree
- ½ ounce Grand Marnier
- Orange zest and twist
- Drizzle of Sorghum (I used local sorghum but Bourbon Barrel Foods makes a fine sorghum)
1. Brown sugar syrup, like any simple syrup, is made by mixing two parts of dark brown sugar with one part water. Boil the mixture, and let cool. This can be done a few days ahead of times for parties and holiday entertaining.
2. Take 3 orange segments (I removed most of the pithy membrane) and muddle in bottom of cocktail shaker with the brown sugar syrup.
3. Add bourbon, pumpkin, and Grand Marnier.
4. Throw in ice and shake vigorously to cool the mixture and allow flavors to blend.
5. Strain and pour into a martini glass.
6. Add an orange twist, a little zest and with a fork, string a little sorghum around the glass for an interesting …and SWEET…visual element.
I suppose you could sprinkle a little freshly grated nutmeg on the top…but I think it makes the drink look muddy. Suit yourself.
I’m going out on the porch and ponder the pumpkins.
Disclaimer: At the time of this writing, I am not compensated for links above.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED