Friends Drift Inn Recipes
Scotch Eggs Recipe for Super Bowl Party
Super Bowl Party and Easy Picnic Recipe
Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky is known for its German immigrant heritage as well as Scotch-Irish influences. Brewing beer used to be a huge local tradition. Many of my friend’s parents worked at the local brewery, and after work we would gather to share some suds and appetizers.
Years ago appetizers weren’t fancy. Pickles straight from the jar and Scotch Eggs were found in neighborhood hang outs; the same treat that has been served in English public houses since the 1700’s.
Scotch Eggs are boiled eggs encased in sausage and deep fried. I remember them served in threes, clustered in a deli basket like a clutch of dinosaur eggs. This was a dish shared with friends. Not very pretty, but mighty tasty with a cold brew.
Nowadays, we usually slice Scotch Eggs in quarters as a garnish with a spring salad. These are fun for picnics and tailgates too!
Enjoy with your favorite cold beverage. And excuse for interjecting, but GO STEELERS! Giggles
Scotch Eggs Recipe
Appetizer Recipe, Easy Picnic Recipes, Egg Recipe
- 1 lb favorite bulk sausage
- 4 boiled eggs, organic preferred
- 1 egg for wash
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
1. Boil eggs. Peel and cool.
2. Divide sausage into 4 equal parts, and pat around the 4 eggs making sure all the egg is covered.
3. Put flour in a small bowl.
4. Whisk raw egg in a second bowl.
5. Have bread crumbs in a third bowl.
6. Roll the sausage eggs in flour, dip in the egg mixture then roll in bread crumbs.
7. In a deep fryer add the eggs two at a time, and cook at about 350 for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon, and place on paper towels to drain.
9. Repeat with remain eggs.
Notes and Observations:
Traditionally these are served slightly warm, but not piping hot. We like Scotch Eggs quartered on salads with a pickle spear garnish. These make fun for tailgates and picnics.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission for purchases made through affiliate links.