Friends Drift Inn Farm – Recipes
Comforting Rice Pudding Recipe – Soothing the Savage Beast
It is Super Bowl> time and every food blogger, every food writer, every foodie want-to-be is posting recipes of Five Alarm Chili and Hot Chicken Wings. You know me, I hate to be just another “me too” voice in the crowd.
With all that heat, my taste buds start to rebel. Sometimes I cannot even taste the food for the pepper burning my palate!
Dairy products cool peppers flames, and coupled with rice will help your stomach remain calm as the last few minutes of Super Bowl tick off the big screen.
Rice pudding is a comfort food, and may not sound very exciting. But begin with a layer of apple butter, then a layer of rice pudding, garnished with a bourbon pecan praline and you have a spectacular little dessert recipe that those man cave dwellers will appreciate. And you will too! Giggles
Soothe the savage beasts with rice pudding.
Rich and Creamy Rice Pudding Recipe
Inspired by Southern Living and Grandma Adopted by me!
Dessert Recipe, Rice Recipe, Pudding Recipe
- 2 cups of milk, organic preferred
- 1 cup basmati rice, I used organic from Lunenburg Farms
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks beaten, organic preferred
- ½ cup pure cane sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- apple butter for bottom layer and Pralines for garnish
1. Rinse rise several times removing any broken pieces.
2. In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, rice and salt. Cover and bring up to medium heat for about 40 minutes. Rice will be softened, but al dente.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, and sugar together. Add about a third cup of the hot rice to egg mixture whisking quickly to keep eggs from curdling. Add several more portions of rice whisking each addition until eggs are well tempered.
4. Add egg mixture to the pot of rice and cook at medium heat for about six minutes until the pudding is hot and bubbly. Stir constantly to prevent sticking.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
6. I serve this chilled as a make ahead.
For presentation, layer apple butter in bottom of dessert dish, add with rice and top with a praline.
This will make 6-8 servings or if you are working on a small plate concept about 10.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.