Friends Drift Inn Recipes
Kentucky Derby Party Recipes
Kentucky Derby Parties are all about abundance, dare I say excess? When I tell you I have a really BIG red hat for this year’s celebrations, I mean it!
If you caught Jason Pyle of Sour Mash Manifeto’s guest post, 4 New Bourbons for Thrill Seekers you know he is all about identifying distinctive flavor components in bourbon. Words like rich, chocolate, honey sweet, woodsy, and smooth are his dialogue of bourbon descriptions.
Mint Julep Brownies capture those adjectives and then some. There’s a complexity of flavors that is not overpowering, but definitely invites a second helping! Giggles Need I say these pair well with bourbon cocktails?
Mint Julep Brownies make an impressive contribution if you are travelling to friends for a Kentucky Derby Party. For easy transport, wait to cut them until you reach your destination.
Don’t forget your hat!
Mint Julep Brownies Recipe
Grandma’s Recipe Card is marked “From BH” Better Homes and Gardens?
Brownies Recipe, Dessert Recipe, Kentucky Derby Party Recipe
- 3 oz of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted organic preferred + 1 Tablespoon, softened
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 squares (2 oz) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Peppermint Extract or 2 Tablespoons Mint Julep Simply Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Bourbon (I usedBuffalo Trace, but Woodford or Makers Mark would work)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. In medium bowl cream cheese, ¼ cup butter and sugar.
3. Mix in eggs.
4. Add flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Melt 1 square of unsweetned chocolate in a medium bowl. Add half the batter to this.
6. Add nuts and honey to chocolate batter.
7. Add mint flavoring to the plain batter.
8. Grease a 9×9 pan.
9. Drop chocolate batter by heaping teaspoons in a checkerboard pattern, fill in with plain batter.
10. Use an offset spatula to marbleize the brownies.
11. Bake off 15 – 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool.
12. Melt one square of unsweetened and 1 Tablespoon of butter.
13. Add in bourbon and confectionary sugar.
14. This should be pouring consistency. If too thick, add up to 2 Tablespoons of boiling water.
15. Pour glaze over top of brownies and let set. Cut into squares.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED