Friends Drift Inn Farm – Recipes
Love Letters to Colonel Charlie
When it comes to Bourbon Balls, our family always prepares the Kentucky wonders with crumbled cookies. And yes, I will be sharing that recipe closer to Kentucky Derby time. Post script Here’s Friends Drift Inn Cookie Crumb Bourbon Balls Recipe
Kentucky Colonel Bourbon Balls have a soft sweet bourbon infused gooey center and are bathed in chocolate. I see these more in restaurants than at down home gatherings, but when we are talking dark chocolate and bourbon does it really matter?
I think that is suitably decadent for Valentine’s Day.
Master Chef Albert Schmid’s The Kentucky Bourbon Cookbook credits Mildred Evans Warren author of “The Art of Southern Cooking with developing the original Kentucky Colonel Bourbon Ball recipe.
The Kentucky Colonel toast begins:
I give you a man dedicated to the good things of life. To the gentle, the heartfelt things. To good living and the kindly rites which it is surrounded.
And gentle readers, that so aptly describes my husband, Kentucky Colonel Charlie Pinson.
I love you Charlie! Cheers!
Kentucky Colonel Bourbon Balls Recipe
Adopted from The Kentucky Bourbon Cookbook
Candy Recipe, Dessert Recipe, Bourbon Ball Recipe
- 1 cup of pecan pieces
- 40 – 45 pecan halves
- ¼ cup of Kentucky bourbon (I used Wild Turkey’s American Honey)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted botter, Organic preferred
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb confectionary sugar sifted
- 2 3.5 oz bars Lindt Excellence Bar, 70% Cocoa
- 2 squares chocolate flavored blmond Bark
1. Soak the pecans in bourbon for about 2 hours. I like to microwave the bourbon and nuts for about 30 seconds then put directly in the refrigerator.
2. While the nuts are soaking, cream butter, vanilla and sugar together. Chill.
3. Once pecans have soaked, add pecan pieces and bourbon to sugar mixture, reserving the halves for topping.
4. Using a teaspoon scoop out mixture, roll in a ball , place on parchment lined baking trays, cover and chill for 1 hour.
5. In a shallow pan, boil water. Place chocolate and almond bark in a heat proof bowl I use souffle cups.
6. Reduce heat to simmer, place bowl in hot water and melt chocolates.
7. With a toothpick, plunge chilled bourbon balls into the melted chocolate. Work quickly. Top with a pecan half and allow to set on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
Makes just over 3 1/2 dozen pieces
Stores well refrigerated for 2 weeks.
Notes and Observations:
Sometimes I add extra bourbon to the butter and sugar mixture. Shocking I know! Traditionally, Kentucky Colonel Bourbon Balls use pecan halves in the filling. I prefer pieces because I think it gives a more interesting texture.
Experiment with different bourbons. Makers Mark is sweet bourbon. Woodford Reserve is always a good choice for culinary applications.
I normally would choose an organic chocolate, but Charlie chose Lindt’s. You could use chocolate flavored almond bark to coat these, but hey every once in the while we like to indulge.
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED