Friends Drift Inn Recipes
Brown’em in the Broiler!
Quick Hot Brown Recipe
I love Hot Browns, hot cheesy open faced sandwiches dripping with white sauce, stuffed with turkey, ham, and bacon. It’s just that a “real” Hot Brown is supposed to be made with a freshly roasted turkey. The day after Thanksgiving, we ALWAYS serve Hot Browns maxed out with all the whistles and bells.
But it’s Kentucky Derby Week, and I do not have time to roast a turkey. Now do not go pointing fingers at me, I made 12 gallons of burgoo, served about 40 pounds of bbq and fixings to Bears, batted out a newspaper column, did a guest radio spot, got certified to be a “micro-processor” at the Farmers Market, prepared twenty posts for this blog and held down a real job. Give me a break…giggles.
Hot Browns in a Hurry Recipe appeared in Wednesday’s Appalachian News Express. I used Kentucky Legends Ham and Turkey for this quick version. Kentucky Legends is processed in Owensboro, KY by the same folks who bring you Nathan’s Hot Dogs. They are a certified “Kentucky Proud” brand.
Hot Browns in a Hurry Recipe
Recipe by Charlie Pinson
Turkey Recipe, Turkey Leftovers, Main Course, Kentucky Derby Party Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup of Milk
- ½ Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 cup of freshly shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 8 slices of French bread toasted
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked
- 8 slices of Kentucky Legends Turkey Breast
- 4 slices of Kentucky Legends Ham
- 4 slices fresh tomato
1. Heat oven to Broil.
2. In skillet heat the Ham and Turkey breast through, getting just a slight browning around edges of meat.
3. In heavy saucepan brown butter and flour, as for a gravy base.
4. Add milk and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Set off heat.
5. Whisk in ½ cup of freshly shredded cheese.
6. We make these in a big skillet then plate. Traditionally, each serving is made in an individual serving dish.
7. Layer 2 slices of toasted French bread, 1 slice of ham, 2 slices of turkey and slices of bacon for each serving. Cover each serving with gravy, top with a sliced tomato, sprinkle on cheddar cheese and broil in oven until cheese is melted. Serve hot. Serves 4
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED