Friends Drift Inn Recipes
Kentucky Derby Party Week
Mini-bites for Holiday Entertaining
Jake my nephew is a good kid. When his teacher asked him to name the three major holidays he never hesitated…. “Christmas, Easter and Kentucky Derby Day.”
I love that boy!
Jake is not a big fan of sweets. When it comes to a thick rich chocolate nutty pie with a hint of bourbon, he just turns up his nose. Even Tammy’s Honey Bourbon Nut Pie does not tempt him.
These Chocolate Chip and Pecan Bourbon Bites are a lighter offering, paired up with fresh strawberries and grapes. When I am doing this with kids in mind, I do not soak the pecans in bourbon the night before. But if it’s an all adult party, I always do.
Without the soak, these have the ever so subtle hint of Bourbon. I like Blantons Bourbon for this recipe. It’s flavor suggests almond toffee. (Just in case you were wondering, Blantons is a good straight sipping bourbon. )
Your guests, young and old, will enjoy these. Get in the kitchen, and saddle up!
Chocolate Chip and Pecan Tarts
Adopted from an OLD Southern Living Recipe
Dessert Recipe, Pie Recipe, Kentucky Derby Party Recipe
- 2 eggs, organic preferred
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour plus 1 Tablespoon, I used Gold Medal Organic
- ½ cup butter, melted organic preferred
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 6 ounce package of semi-sweet morsels (Charlie likes the mini chips, I like regular)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons of Kentucky Bourbon I used Blanton’s, Woodford Reserve or Makers Mark would be acceptable.
- 2 9 inch pie crusts cut to fit into mini muffin pans
1. For adult parties, soak the pecans the night before in about 3 Tablespoons of bourbon. For kid friendly, omit this step.
2. Preheat Oven to 350°
3. Mix eggs, sugar, flour and butter until blended.
4. Add pecans, chocolate morsels, vanilla, and bourbon. Just barely stir in, until evenly dispersed.
5. Grease muffin tins, and add crusts to each cup.
6. Fill each cup with a scant teaspoon of the mixture.
7. Bake about 30 minutes until edges are slightly brown and there is no shine of top of the mini bites.
Makes 48 mini bites
Jake likes these with fresh strawberries.
At the time of this post I am not compensated for the links or product mentions above
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED