Friends Drift Inn Recipes
Sweet Citrus Success
We’ve got a few grapefruits left over from the Christmas holidays. I was looking for ways to use them up in something remarkable.
Candied Grapefruit Peel is the answer.
Something Different for Super Bowl Party!
Just in time for Super Bowl, these citrus chewies will add sparkle and zing to your Super Bowl Party table. Be unique!
Candied Grapefruit Peel is a spectacular topping for muffins, iced cupcakes and the like. The acid from citrus adds a stroke of boldness on cold dreary winter mornings! Candied grapefruit strips are like those old fashioned sugared orange candy slices but without all the sticky gelatins. For a real flavor blast, try candied peels as Brown Derby Cocktail garnish.
Candied Grapefruit Peel Recipe
Adopted from Fine Cooking
Dessert Recipe, Snack Recipe, Cocktail Garnish
- 2 large Grapefruit, preferably organic and scrubbed well
- 2 ½ cups granulated Cane Sugar, organic preferred
1. Fill a 3 quart pan with water, and begin to boil.
2. Cut grapefruit into halves, quarters and then eighths.
3. Remove fruit pulp and save for a quick snack.
4. Cut peels lengthwise into slices about ¼ inch thick.
5. Put peels in boiling water and blanche about 7 minutes.
6. Discard water, cover with fresh water and repeat this process two more times. Blanching process removes unpleasant bitterness.
7. With pan empty, and peels set aside, make a simple syrup by combing 1 ½ cups of Cane Sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
8. Add peels back in. With heat set on low, simmer peels until they are translucent about 50 minutes. Check on these every so often, stirring to prevent sticking.
9. Strain syrup, saving for another recipe.
10. In a small bowl, use the remaining sugar to thoroughly coat peels. Shake excess sugar off.
11. Dry on a rack 6 hours or overnight, with a lined baking sheet beneath.
Makes about 3 cups
These will keep up to a month in an airtight container
Wonderful minced up in muffins or used as a topping on iced cakes or cupcakes. A natural pairing with the famous Brown Derby Cocktail.
If you like the zing of grapefruit in the morning try Honey Baked Grapefruit Recipe