Friends Drift Inn Farm – Recipes
Sweet Citrus Candy – So Fun!
We’ve got a few grapefruits left over from the Christmas holidays. I was looking for ways to use them up in something remarkable.
Candied Grapefruit Peel is the answer.
The first time I saw this recipe, was in the December edition of Fine Cooking. After that it seemed the recipe popped up all over the place. Why have I never heard of this?
Something Different for Super Bowl Party!
Just in time for Super Bowl, these citrus chewies will add sparkle and zing to your Super Bowl Party table. Be unique!
Candied grapefruit peel is a spectacular topping for muffins, iced cupcakes and the like. The acid from citrus adds a stroke of boldness on cold dreary winter mornings! Candied grapefruit strips are like those old fashioned sugared orange candy slices but without all the sticky gelatins. For a real flavor blast, try candied peels as Brown Derby cocktail garnish.
Candied Grapefruit Peel Recipe
Adopted from Fine Cooking
Dessert Recipe, Snack Recipe, Cocktail Garnish
- 2 large grapefruit, preferably organic and scrubbed well
- 2 ½ cups pure cane sugar, organic preferred
1. Fill a 3 quart pan with water, and over high heat bring up to a boil.
2. Cut grapefruit into halves, quarters and then eighths.
3. Remove fruit pulp and save for a quick snack.
4. Cut peels lengthwise into slices about ¼ inch thick.
5. Put peels in boiling water and blanch about 7 minutes.
6. Discard water, cover with fresh water and repeat this process two more times. Blanching process removes unpleasant bitterness.
7. With pan empty, and peels set aside, make a simple syrup by combing 1 ½ cups of cane sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
8. Add peels back in. With heat set on low, simmer peels until they are translucent about 50 minutes. Check on these every so often, stirring to prevent sticking.
9. Strain syrup, saving for another recipe. (Syrup is especially tasty as a glaze on muffins and do I really have to mention cocktails?)
10. In a small bowl, use the remaining sugar to thoroughly coat peels. Shake excess sugar off.
11. Dry on a cooling rack 6 hours or overnight, with a lined baking sheet beneath.
70 minutes cooktime, however these must sit overnight
These will keep up to a month in an airtight container
Notes and Observations
Wonderful minced up in muffins or used as a topping on iced cakes or cupcakes. However, do not alter the recipe and cut peel strips fine or mince before processing. The thicker the width, the less likely to go too chewy and leathery.
A natural pairing with the famous Brown Derby Cocktail these are so alluring as a garnish! I have not explored all the possibilities with this recipe, other citrus like orange or lemon? Candied citrus is very festive for the holidays, but even dwon into the “Little Winters” that lead up to spring they put a slice of sunshine in your recipes.
Makes about 3 cups
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises, LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.