Friends Drift Inn Recipes
Kentucky Derby Party Week
Cucumber Cheese Spread Recipe
With Mother’s Day and Kentucky Party Derby Celebrations this weekend, one’s food musings turns to brunchs and luncheons. A traditional favorite at teas, Benedictine Spread sandwiches topped the charts over one hundred years ago, devised by a Louisville caterer Jennie Benedict.
Way back when, the little cucumber spread sandwiches were made with white bread, the bread rolled thin with a rolling pin, and the crusts trimmed. Sometimes served in cut circles, sometimes in traditional quartered points, the Benedictine Spread sandwiches were the toast of the Louisville elite.
Times have changed. I still enjoy Benedictine Spread on tea sandwhiches, but for quick entertaining the spread is perfect for stuffing celery with. Creamy, with that cool cucumber crispness, Benedictine in all forms is still a favorite on the first Saturday in May.
And everyone knows, Benedictines are NOT green.
Benedictine Spread Recipe
Handed Down Recipe
Cucumber Recipe, Spread, Appetizer Recipe
- 1/3 of an 8 oz bar of Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/3 of a cucumber sliced and peeled
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 dash of Tabasco (I used my homemade Tabasco Hot Sauce Recipe)
- Garnish fresh dill sprigs or watercress
1. Put cheese, cucumber, and mayo in food processor, blending until mixture is very smooth.
2. Chill covered in the refrigerator overnight.
3. For celery stuffing spread in the groove. For sandwiches, dill sprigs or watercress makes a springy and tasty garnish.
Notes and Observations:
You could roll out white bread, trimming the crusts and cutting with fancy cookie cutters for truly retro elegance. I usually just use bread right out of the wrapper. For sandwiches that might have to wait for the party, I butter the bread before adding Benedictine spread. The butter serves as a barrier, keeping the sandwiches from getting soggy.
This will make about 1/2 cup of spread.
Friends Drift Inn makes a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.
©Friends Drift Inn Enterprises ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Friends Drift Inn receives a small commission from purchases made through affiliate links.